Web Only / Features » March 13, 2020
A Union Nurse and Tenant Activist Eyes the New York Assembly
A conversation with Phara Souffrant Forrest.
In the newest installment in our ongoing series Working-Class Politics, we talk with Phara Souffrant Forrest, a union nurse, tenant activist, and democratic socialist running for Assembly in New York's 57th District.
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit publication, In These Times does not oppose or endorse candidates for political office.
Help In These Times Continue Publishing
Progressive journalism is needed now more than ever, and In These Times needs you.
Like many nonprofits, we expect In These Times to struggle financially as a result of this crisis. But in a moment like this, we can’t afford to scale back or be silent, not when so much is at stake. If it is within your means, please consider making an emergency donation to help fund our coverage during this critical time.
Maximillian Alvarez is a writer and editor based in Baltimore and the host of Working People, "a podcast by, for, and about the working class today." His work has been featured in venues like In These Times, The Nation, The Baffler, Current Affairs, and The New Republic.
if you like this, check out:
- Joe Biden’s Cowardly Position on Iran Sanctions
- The Future Belongs to the Movement Sparked by Bernie Sanders
- Bernie Sanders Started the Revolution. The Rest Is Up to Us.
- Hospital Food Workers and Janitors Are Stuck In a “Death Trap”
- Exclusive Transcripts Show Disgraced UAW President Strongarmed Board To Pick His Own Successor